[Sca-cooks] cheese pudding

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 9 10:03:26 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I do not know if this is what Olwen was talking about, but in my family
Cheese Pudding is a Holiday Tradition (tm). The following is my Grandma's
recipie. When Grandma got the recipie it was called Cheese Souffle, but it
always falls when anyone in my family makes it - hence Cheese Pudding. Still
tastes as good. We usually serve it with Ham at Christmas, it is really good
on top of the ham and it is fabulous as left overs.

Enjoy,
Serena da Riva

Cheese Pudding, from Margaret Willette
10 Slices White Bread (no crusts)
1 stick Butter
3 Eggs, seperated
2 C Milk
1 t Salt
1/2 t Red Pepper (ground)
1 t Dry Mustard
1 lb Shredded sharp cheddar
Melt butter in a large baking dish (souffle type). Add cubed bread. Combine
egg yolks and milk. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture, then stir into
cubed bread. Stir in cheese. Beat egg whited until stiff. Fold egg whited in
last. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 - 45 minutes. The top will be slightly
browned when done.

> Cheese pudding? Is this a savory or sweet dish? Fluffy or firm? Are their
period versions? I like cheese and this sounds...interesting. It does sound
like one of those dishes where a little bit goes a long way, though. Anyone
have a favorite recipe?