[Sca-cooks] calcium chloride

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 11:18:16 PDT 2003

Does it help to get rid of that "greasy" feel that the
ultra high pasteurized milk and cream products get?
I've only used it in regular milk, and a tiny bit goes
a long way.

I was talking with a culture and enzyme vendor at a
cheese conference and he said that you only need about
a teaspoon per hundred gallons.  For those that
haven't used it, calcium chloride acts like a drying
agent to help firm up the curds.  Pasteurizing causes
looser curds because the protein structure of the milk
is broken up.

Eibhlin