[Sca-cooks] calcium chloride

Truman B. chirhart_1 at netzero.net
Sun Oct 12 19:39:41 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathleen Madsen" <kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] calcium chloride

> Does it help to get rid of that "greasy" feel that the
> ultra high pasteurized milk and cream products get?
> I've only used it in regular milk, and a tiny bit goes
> a long way.

The only times it seemed greasy was from the temp being to
hot in the kitchen during pressing,other then that ,yes.

> I was talking with a culture and enzyme vendor at a
> cheese conference and he said that you only need about
> a teaspoon per hundred gallons.
> Eibhlin

That's why I only use a quater tsp.,any more and the cheese
seems to be a little to dry after pressing.I learned this after
being a little Hevy Handed with the C-C. (More is not better),
In this case.

                                Chirhart