[Sca-cooks] Abysmally wrong EDiets article on medieval diet

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Oct 13 11:18:44 PDT 2003

"Martin G. Diehl" wrote:

> Katja wrote:
> >
> > I just found this egregiously awful article, and I
> > don't have the patience or temper right now to write a
> > polite and informed reply.
> >
> > http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?code=24565&article_id=8431
> >
> > Would someone else like to correct this information?
> >
> > Katja
>
> Before we do, why not find out what he used for sources.

[snip]

That didn't take very long ... Here are the next 2 messages ...

	markwriter at dejazzd.com wrote:

	> The column was not destined to be the be all and end all on
	> middle ages and popular culture ... rather it was designed
	> to be a humorous piece that would highlight better habits ...

	OK ... while reading the original article, I recognized that
	you must be quite an expert in that particular subject.

	> I relied on people I spoke to at the faire, as well as my
	> own middle age history classes in culture ...

	In addition, I see by your response, about talking to
	knowledgeable people at that faire, you also are eager to
	learn from other experts.

	> why?

	You mentioned "research" twice in the article ... and I would
	like to buy a book or books that would give me additional
	information on the points you raised there.

	> What is your dieting story?
	> WHere are you from?
	> MLH
	>
	> >
	> > From: "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net>
	> > Date: 2003/10/13 Mon PM 01:31:53 EDT
	> > To: markwriter at dejazzd.com
	> > Subject: About ... "Good Knight: The Middle Ages Diet!"
	> >
	> > Greetings to Mark L. Hoffman,
	> >
	> > That is a very interesting article on eDiets.com.
	> >
	> > I always like to be well informed.
	> >
	> > Could you suggest some books that expand on what you wrote?
	> >
	> > Thank you for your attention and interest.

Well, lets see ...

He admitted making it up.

He made a spurious claim of humor.

He made an appeal to anonymous authority.

He failed to include any print references.

He failed to answer my specific question.

He also denied his original article.

And, the worst eMail sin of all ...  he "top-posted" his reply.

--
Martin G. Diehl