[Sca-cooks] Abysmally wrong EDiets article on medieval diet

Mon Oct 13 13:46:16 PDT 2003

Methinks, Herr Hoffman believes he has stepped into a virtual hornets nest.

Here is his reply and my response.

Bear

THT WAS THE WHOLE POINT...YES, IT WAS DONE TONGUE IN CHEEK IN A HUMOROUS
POINT OF VIEW...NOW I KNOW HOW DAVE BARRY FEELS...AND, I MUST ADD, SOME OF
THE HISTORICAL INFO CAME FROM THE REN. FAIRE...SOME WAS JUST SPECULATION ON
MY PART...BASED ON STEREOTYPES AND PERVERSIONS OF HISTORY....NOT REALITY...
PLEASE...LAUGH...

I've spent over 20 years learning about Medieval and Renaissance cookery and
trying to demonstrate to people that Medieval cooking is not unappetizing
brown glop.  Unfortunately, what you see as stereotypes and perversions of
history are believed to be fact by many less knowledgeable people.  It's not
very humorous when you regularly have to butt heads with it.