[Sca-cooks] handmade pasta

Liz Courts lizcourts at bendcable.com
Tue Oct 14 17:32:22 PDT 2003

Ah!!!!  Homemade pasta.  Belle Vida to the homemade pasta!!!!

First I feel that I need to identify myself.  My name is Robert
Andrade--(Mundanely of course)  I am Portugese/Italian.  I was literally
raised in the Kitchen; both my mothers kitchen where I learned how to
make traditional dishes from Portugal or in my Italian Uncles home
learning how to make traditional Italian dishes...Including Pasta!!!!
(You must'a love the Pasta!!!  hehe)

Now there are many ways to make Pasta but they usually include a dry
good (Flour--Unbleached or Semolina) and a Liquid (Olive Oil, Water and
or Eggs). The one I prefer uses eggs and unbleached flour. 3 large eggs
for 2 cups of unbleached flour works well. Now, what you need to do, is
clean off a flat surface in your kitchen (make sure you have enough room
to work in). You are going to take your dry good and plop it on your
working surface and sculpt it into a bowl, all the time loving the
flour. Crack your 3 eggs (which you have cultivated into room
temperature), whites and all, into the bowl, have fork in hand, and
begin mixing the eggs like you are making scrambled eggs. Keeping the
integrity of your well-loved flour bowl with your free hand, after the
eggs have been lovingly mixed together, you gently and slowly
incorporate the flour from the inside of your well-loved bowl. This you
must keep doing until your mixture has reached the consistency of a soft
dough ready for your loving guidance. The most important teaching tool
you could have at this moment is a pasta turner (also known as a dough
scraper, a flat piece of metal with a wooden handle) - extremely
important! Now, you must make sure that you flour your working surface
because the soft dough will be sticky, and the flour will greater assist
your loving care. With your pasta turner, that wonderful teaching tool,
you will begin to fold the soft dough continuously adding sparse amounts
of flour to the dough, until the dough is no longer sticky. At this
fantastic, wonderful stage in the dough's life, GET RID OF THE PASTA
TURNER. It is time for your hands, yes I said your hands, for you will
knead this dough (starting as close to you as possible on your work
surface and kneading it away from you). One must remember to constantly
keep the hands floured, otherwise you will have a dough glove, and this
is not what you want, for you are trying to make pasta, not winter garb.
Continue kneading until the dough has reached a stage of elasticity (you
will know this when you take your dough, form it into a ball, and poke
it with a finger, any finger will do, if you fingermade hole remains, it
is pasta dough!). At this stage, you must do the one thing that true
pasta-makers fear and loathe: let it rest and wait a few minutes (I hate
this part!). But this shall soon pass. Now I realize, as you are sitting
there looking at that ball of dough, you are wondering to yourself, "How
could I possibly feed my family?" Ah-hah! Pick up the dough, feel the
weight and density of the dough, admire your work, even, for you are
taking part in a tradition that is thousands of years old. Make sure
that you have a very sharp knife (yes I said knife, I realize this), for
what you will do is slice into your pasta ball (or whatever form you
have desired) into four sections.

Now comes the interesting part. There are many ways to do what I am
about to tell you next. I will tell you the two that I know -
1.) A rolling pin (or a tall wine bottle, etc.) and guide your slice of
pasta into a thin, long form, remembering to flour the surface of your
pasta dough as required. When you have reached the length that you would
like, roll your freshly loved and stretched and guided pasta dough
jelly-roll style (be certain that you have used enough flour to keep the
jelly roll from becoming a permanent form). Take an extremely
well-sharpened knife and cut the jelly-roll into strands to the width
that you desire. Unroll the strands, hand to dry, or cook them
immediately as you would regular pasta.
2.) After you have sliced your pasta dough ball into four ready-to-use
slices, having a hand pasta machine at hand will make life much easier
for you. I prefer the Villaware Imperia
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/b00004spdh/104-5119316-3313515?v=glance)
brand, made in Italy, which you can find at most kitchen supply stores
at a wonderfully reasonable price. It comes with wonderful directions on
how to use it and many wonderful attachments as well.

The beauty of making homemade pasta is that you are spending time in the
kitchen making something with love, and this will show in the pasta. You
will find a pasta denser than store-bought (which I will cover in a
moment) and you will also find that it will take less to satiate your
appetite.

I realize that most of us who live in the mundane world have things to
worry about like jobs and bills and things of that nature and the curses
of the mundane life do not always allow for us to spend quality time in
the kitchen. I suffer from this as well, sometimes. If I find that I
truly desire pasta and the curses prevent me from making it myself, I
seek out premade pasta that ONLY have the following ingredients: durum
wheat flour (semolina) and water. If it has anything else, like those
wonderfully confusing unpronouncable ingredients, I throw it out! I hope
that this has helped answer anyone's questions.

Yours truly,
Robert Andrade (a true pasta lover)