[Sca-cooks] What to do with goat cheese...

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Oct 14 22:33:14 PDT 2003

Hey from Anne-Marie
Stefan says:
Anne-Marie commented:
> one of my household is a timeshare goat owner :) and so ends up with a
> ton of lovely goats milk cheese that she makes.
You can share a goat and still get enough milk to make a lot of cheese?
 From other comments on this list it looked like you had to have a lot
of milk to get much cheese. Sounds interesting, but could be a lot of
work and I doubt my suburban neighbors would be too happy with a goat
on my lot. :-) I think I'll work on my herb garden first. I wonder if
goats and herb gardens are mutually exclusive?

It's a co-op type deal, like when you buy into an organic co-op for
fresh veggies. They have a herd and she gets a bunch of milk when they
have it :). Ditto honey and beeswax. It's a pretty sweet deal.

You can make cheese from small amounts of milk, but not a lot of it :).
Fresh chevre types obviously you get more per volume of milk.

Most urban areas have nearby farms that you can find goat owners who
would be happy to sell you milk, or even give it to you. You might have
to promise not to use it for human consumption, etc. If you're
interested, ask me offline and I'll tell you more about DHI testing and
commercial dairy goats than you probably ever wanted to know :).

As for goats and herb gardens being mutually exlusive..it depends ;).
Goats+herb garden=flavored milk but goats+herb garden+good
fences=flavored cheese ;).

--Anne-Marie, 1982 4H Dairy Achievment winner (beating out the cow kids,
thank you very much!) and whos herd of purebred Saanens put her through
2 years of college :)