[Sca-cooks] Re: ricotta as "fresh cheese"?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Oct 15 09:23:13 PDT 2003

"Cream cheese" is a soft, fresh cheese usually made, I think (can't find
the cheese cookbook to verify) with a rennet. And it's probably got the
highest fat content of the three--ISTR a number of different variations
in my cheese book that had varying milk/cream ratios.
"Ricotta" is made from the whey that's left over after you make cheese.
I think it has to be done with fresh whey, as well.  Most recipes I've
seen have you add some milk to the whey, to increase output.  One heats
the fresh whey to a certain temperature and (I think) adds an acid
(vinegar?), which precipitates the little ricotta curds.
The third cheese is NOT made with either a whey or a rennet, but with
milk (usually whole) and lemon juice.  I think my book refers to it as a
"bag cheese," because it's one of the ones you hang up in a bag of
cheesecloth to let the extra whey drip out.  It's a fairly soft, fresh
cheese as well.
I can always taste the lemon juice, so I don't normally make it,
although it might be really nice in cheesecake.  I like to make bag
cheese using whole milk and vinegar....
As far as the browning goes in Katira's post, I'm assuming that she made
the same dish 3 times, each with a different cheese, and that it was the
dish that was browned.
--maire