[Sca-cooks] Re: ricotta as "fresh cheese"?

Naquiba Katira al-Maghrebiyya cynaguanswan at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 13:08:01 PDT 2003

--- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
snip
> As far as the browning goes in Katira's post, I'm
> assuming that she made
> the same dish 3 times, each with a different cheese,
> and that it was the
> dish that was browned.
> --maire

Yes, I was referring to the finished product.  I made
the recipe 3 times (each with a different cheese) and
I couldn't taste any difference in flavor or texture
which is why I was so surprised at the judge's
comments.

For another competition I made a white tart with
cottage cheese.  The vast amounts of butter just
bubbled around the cheese even though I mixed it up
very well.  I made it again with my fresh (bag) cheese
and was very happy with the results.  It also won.  My
favorite part of that one was making a second tart
with the white 'canvas' as the field for the Mists
arms and blue and green sugar plate making the
bordure, wreath and crown, for presentation to the
high table.  FYI, my borage bed is coming in well so
that next time I can use a period blue food coloring!

Katira