[Sca-cooks] Home From Great Western War

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 00:35:57 PDT 2003

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> After many strange travails, my friends and I
> got to the Great
> Western War site around midnight Friday - we
> had originally intended
> to be there Friday morning.
>
> I had the great honor of meeting several
> notables of this list, among
> them Dame Huette von Ahrens who was most kind
> and generous and also
> most entertaining, and Selene Colfox and Jared
> (the rest of whose
> name i have forgotten),

THL Jared Alexandre Blaydeaux

> who were gracious hosts
> to this wandering
> Westerner. I also met Aeduin and his friendly
> cooking crew, against
> whom we competed in the GWW Iron Chef. And a
> most friendly
> competition it was.

And what Anahita neglected to mention is that her
team won!  They presented 13 of the most
delicious, exquisitely presented, well-prepared
apple based dishs that I have ever tasted.  It
was a great joy to be a judge for this
competition.
I hope that you will be supplying us with your
wonderful recipes?

> My friends and i got back to San Jose around
> midnight Monday, after a
> stop in Pasadena to visit some of their family.
> I spent the night at
> my friends' house, on Tuesday morning we
> unloaded the van and the
> trailer, i packed my stuff back in my car and i
> eventually got home.
>
> My time at GWW was too short, but what time i
> had was was wonderfully
> spent making new friends ...and shopping! I got
> a period Iranian
> style plate and beaker from a nice Lochacian
> potter named Alexander.

Master Alex the Potter and his wife Rhonda are
currently touring Caid and the West this year,
with a planned stay at Great Western War to find
a new market for his wares.  Alex is quite the
raconteur, with many amusing stories about
Drakey ...

> I leave at 0-dark-30 tomorrow AM to head to the
> Known World Costume
> Symposium in Denver (i'm driving with a
> different friend), where i
> will have the opportunity to meet other folks
> with whom i correspond
> on costuming.

Have a safe trip!

> I must say that my almost 4-1/2 years in the
> SCA have been most
> friendly and rewarding. Youse a great buncha
> guys.

Well, it is not hard to be friendly with a sweet
and endearing person such as yourself.  I am very
tempted to drive the 8+ hours to wherever and
whenever you cook another banquet!

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.