[Sca-cooks] What to do with goat cheese...

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Oct 16 08:33:36 PDT 2003

Marina replied to me with:

Must run out and get my copy of Cook's Illustrated.
<<<
Since Olwen also asked for the recipe, I will see about typing the recipe in and posting it to this list. The Cook's Illustrated articles usually include a lot of verbage before the actual recipe covering their trial and error testing but I don't think I will have time to type all that in and my scanner isn't hooked up right now. But you can probably work just from the recipe. They did some unusual things to get this cheese to cook correctly and not burn or ooze out, yet still have a pleasant appearance. I will try to do this this weekend.

Being unable to eat anything that is cow dairy anymore I have been using more
and more of the goat cheese.
<<<
What about sheep's milk cheese?

I have found that almost wherever I use
"regular cheese" I can use goat cheese.  I have used goat cheese in a variety
of formats - brie, cheddar, chevre, swiss, havarti etc.
<<<
I thought goat's milk cheese had a stronger taste than either cow or sheep milk cheese. I'd think that that would be a problem with several of these cheeses. Some of the usually milder tasting cheeses for instance.

If anyone is interested I can post to the list or send privately a url to a
goat dairy in Alberta which sells numerous varieties of goat cheese.
<<<

Please do. Perhaps I can investigate the question about the taste of goat milk being inappropriate for various cheeses myself.

Stefan