[Sca-cooks] What to do with goat cheese...

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 13:59:49 PDT 2003

Their products look fabulous.  :)  We have a local
producer here that makes incredible farmstead goat
cheeses, where the milk and the cheese are all
produced on the same farm.

Goat milk is a bit stronger in flavor than cow's milk.
 Goat cheese is very delicate when it's in curd form,
so you'll see a lot of artisanal or farmstead
cheesemakers referencing hand-ladeling.  Ladeling by
hand treats the curd very gently and prevents a lot of
that goaty "tang" from developing.  I couldn't bear
the taste of commercially available goat cheese until
I had my first bite of the hand made, hand-ladelled
variety.  Now, I actively search it out.

Eibhlin