[Sca-cooks] OOP: Ice cream question

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 16 15:33:47 PDT 2003

There has been quite a bit in the US news of late concerning the fact
that Pepsi managed to finally come up with a frozen Diet pepsi version
that can come out of the machines at 7-11 and still taste good.

  "Until now, 7-Eleven Inc., which owns the Slurpee brand, and The ICEE
Co., which has been making frozen, carbonated drinks since 1961, have
had little luck developing a zero-calorie, sugar-free version of their
slushy sodas. Once they were semi-frozen, sugar substitutes, such as
Nutrasweet, didn't have the consistency to "slush" through the straw
like the real thing."

"Since cola, after all, is the top-selling soft-drink flavor, 7-Eleven
challenged PepsiCo and Coca-Cola to develop a recipe. Now it has paid
off as Diet Pepsi Slurpees debut at 7-Eleven stores nationwide in recent
weeks."
  Still they sound jubilant back at Pepsi-Cola North America where
spokesman Dave DeCecco says "We finally cracked the code . . .
.Consumers have been asking for a diet-cola Slurpee for years - we
wanted to be the ones to give it to them first."

It was quite a quest. "There's a little bit of rocket science to it,"
said John Ryckevic, the Slurpee and Big Gulp honcho at 7-Eleven
headquarters in Dallas. Pepsi finally settled on a formula of three
sweeteners - sucralose, erythritol and tagatose that is said to do the
job without sacrificing taste.

The company says Diet Pepsi Slurpee has fared well in early customer
surveys with 88 percent of those who have tried it saying they would buy
it again.

At first glance, said Christine Palumbo, a registered dietitian and
nutrition in Naperville, Ill., Diet Pepsi Slurpee doesn't raise any red
flags. Sucralose is similar to a sugar-substitute called Splenda that is
available in grocery stores. Erythritol is commonly present in
sugar-free candy and tagatose is a non-nutritive sweetener that was most
likely used sparingly, she said. " Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc.

My guess is that something like this is happening to the ice cream mix
when it is made with splenda.

There is a splenda dessert book. You might check that out and see what
it says.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis