[Sca-cooks] Odd question...

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 17 03:46:31 PDT 2003

> >Just got a question from one of my smithing friends- it seems his
daughter
> >is making some chili, and she says it's "too acid" and wants to know what
> >out in it to neutralize it, that won't chenge the flavor. Of all the
> >standard chili ingredients, only the tomatoes would be acid- anybody have
> >clue as to what else she might have put in it? Vinegar, maybe?
> >
> >Told him to find out the ingredients for me, but until then, anybody have
> >clue as to what she might actually be tasting, given standard chili
> >ingredients? Unless she added catsup...weird...
>
> I have an acid reaction to a number of tomato based chili and pasta sauce
> recipes.  I've found that some non dry wine in pasta sauce or tequila in
> either eliminates the acid.

If it's the acid TASTE that concerns her, I routinely add a teaspoon or so
of sugar to my tomato sauce to counterbalance the acidity. If it's more of a
gastric problem (i.e. reflux), then she may need to add a pinch of baking
soda (be cautious - too much will make it taste soapy).

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Send Monopoly Money to your Favorite TV Evangelist.

---