[Sca-cooks] Question on Cubebs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 17 06:09:15 PDT 2003

> I have come across some one else providing a suggestion for a Cubeb
> substitution. They said that a combination of black pepper and allspice
> would be a good substitute.
>
> This is a sub that I have not come across, and I am having a hard time
> envisioning the flavor combination.
>
> Anybody have 2 cents worth?

Hm... a little allspice in with the peppers should work. However, I would
think that in period a different substitution would be used-- I read
somewhere that juniper berries were sometimes used when you couldn't
afford cubeb, or you might use pepper by itself.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges