[Sca-cooks] Question on Cubebs

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Oct 17 08:28:41 PDT 2003

Hey all from Anne-Marie

Hmm! I wouldn't consider juniper berries a match in flavor at all, in
spite of them being vaguely the same shape (round) and same color
(black) ;).

If you don't have cubeb, I'd use pepper and a tetch of ginger. If you
don't even have ginger, you could just use pepper. The flavor of cubebs
is a little more "interesting" than that, but a good tellicherry
peppercorn might come sorta close.

You can buy cubebs from worldspice at www.worldspice.com. Tell Tony hiya
from Anne-Marie :)

Hope this helps!
--AM

Hm... a little allspice in with the peppers should work. However, I
would
think that in period a different substitution would be used-- I read
somewhere that juniper berries were sometimes used when you couldn't
afford cubeb, or you might use pepper by itself.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges