[Sca-cooks] Was: Odd question.../ NOW-Pots

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 15:20:31 PDT 2003

--- Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

>   I would like to know how they would compare
> to a pottery cooking vessel!
> Although you can't cook a large feast in
> pottery...it WAS used a lot in the
> home kitchen!  Mistress Christiana did a demo
> of pottery cooking on the kiln we
> used to fire the pottery at Pennsic..it was
> very interesting!  I can't wait to
> try it myself!
>
> Etain

Having listened to my apprentice who is a potter,
I now know that you just can't take a ceramic pot
and place it on an open fire and cook with it,
unless you like to break your ceramics.  She once
gave me a detailed explanation of thermal shock
and what it does to even high-fired ceramics.  If
you wish to use ceramic pots, you have to build a
bed of coals and place the pot in the bed.  If I
sound a little vague about this, it is because I
am.  I haven't used yet the one my apprentice
made for me, nor have I used the frying pan she
did.  I also have a ceramic frying pan from
Master Alex of Lochac, which he gave me last
year.  But they all look so nice and pretty, I
am afraid of ruining them, since I have only a
vague notion of how to use them.  Sigh.  One of
these years in my copious spare time ...

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.