[Sca-cooks] Book - The Medieval Kitchen

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Oct 18 00:13:09 PDT 2003

At 12:01 AM 10/17/2003 -0700, Ignia il Nomade wrote:
>I was reading a review on cookbooks and this one caught my eye
>(http://eat.epicurious.com/eat/cookbooks/index.ssf/?/eat/cookbooks/1998/medieval.html).
>Does anyone have it/can give me a better review than the one on the site?
>Is it worth my money or should I save up for something else (like, say,
>the Foodlover's Atlas of the World)?

It seems to be a good book. It has a modern English version of the original
recipe together with the authors' interpretation of the recipe, and then
transcriptions of all the original recipes in the back. I've hardly tried
using their interpretations (the books is a kind of new acquisition), but
they seem to be fairly accurate by comparison with the originals.

My main problem with it is that it sometimes fills in gaps in the original
recipes with things that I suspect are a little too modern, such as golden
delicious apples and pa^te brise'e.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon