[Sca-cooks] Book - The Medieval Kitchen

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Oct 18 00:50:27 PDT 2003

At 10:06 PM 10/17/2003 -0400, Elewyiss wrote:
>Can I interperate this to mean you do not like Fabulous Feasts? Is there
>a problem with the text?

My recollection (from some years ago) is that there are problems with
almost every recipe in _Fabulous Feasts_. Most of the recipes in this book
are not attributed to any period source, and many of them look like heavily
modified adaptations of period recipes, or substitutions, or outright new
inventions. Though of course it's hard to prove this when you aren't told
where these recipes are supposed to have come from.

The only recipe that I remember as coming from a specific, identified,
period source is mammenye bastarde. The quoted recipe seems to have many
serious errors; in particular, several of the spices are said to be one
pound each. By comparison with the other recipes from _Two
Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books_ (Cariadoc's reprint, 1988) it seems very
likely that the spice measurements were scribal errors, and that where the
_Fabulous Feasts_ recipe calls for almonds the original called for amydon.
If this is indeed (as I think I remember) the only recipe in FF to provide
its source, then for interpretations of cited/quoted period recipes FF
scores 0 out of 1.

More generally, it seems to include more non-period (or at best
implausible) recipes than almost any other book on period cooking that I've
read, with the possible exception of _How to Cook Forsoothly_.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon