[Sca-cooks] Book - The Medieval Kitchen

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Oct 18 10:40:09 PDT 2003

> If you want a *really* good text on medieval food, get "The Art of Cookery
> in the Middle Ages" by Terence Scully, paperback ISBN 0-85115-430-1.

Scully's work is excellent, but I would say that Scully is more interested
in medieval COOKING than medieval FOOD. I've heard him speak, and even the
medievalists around me pointed out that he overplays certain things he
gets from recipes (such as 'period nobles wouldn't eat beef').

As a source on COOKERY he is very good, and more focused on France and
Italy than Henisch or C. Anne Wilson. I'm anxiously awaiting his article
on spicing and humors, his chart on the humors of various substances was
great.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn