[Sca-cooks] cooking in pottery

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Oct 20 09:22:16 PDT 2003

Christianna replied to me with:

Ok, I could swear I just sent the A&S report I had written up for our local
group's quarterly report, like in the last day or so.  Did you miss it
Stephan, or am I hallucinating and it didn't come to this list?
I can send it to you privately, Stephan.
<<<<

I did see your report on this list after I sent my message. Thank you. Very interesting. I think you mentioned this before, perhaps in a message about Pennsic because I now remember your comments about the skillet breaking and still continuing to cook things on the skillet pieces.

I have saved your message and someone else's, also with actual hands-on experience cooking using ceramic pots to start a file in the Florilegium on this topic. I think these projects and reports are wonderful as we tend to overuse modern cooking untensils for our cooking re-creations without thinking about it. These different utensils do have an impact on cooking the food and sometimes how the food comes out. The files I have which detail cooking in a medieval style oven also highlight how different it is from using a modern one and this continues that. I'm not saying we need to cook all our food in such items, but having some knowledge of actual use of these items can be used to improve the accuracy when we cook medieval dishes in modern ovens and on modern stoves using modern utensils.

Stefan