[Sca-cooks] cooking in pottery

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 20 21:39:09 PDT 2003

  Christianna replied to me with:
>   I did see your report on this list after I sent my message. Thank
> you.
> Very
> interesting. I think you mentioned this before, perhaps in a message
> about
> Pennsic because I now remember your comments about the skillet breaking
> and
> still continuing to cook things on the skillet pieces.
>
> 	You saw me do a show-and-tell at the potluck at Pennsic, live in
> person.
Ah, ok. But I didn't get to see the actual experiment. :-( That was
what I was referring to in my original message, not that I had missed
seeing the article here. Oh well. There are lots of interesting things
that go on at Pennsic and I can't see or do all of them. But I can
try...
> I have saved your message and someone else's, also with actual hands-on
> experience cooking using ceramic pots to start a file in the
> Florilegium on this topic.
>
> Stefan
> 	I think that's a great idea.  Mistress Cori from Aethelmarc sent me
> half of
> an article about cooking over a wood fire before the event.
"half an article"? Is this like half of the clay skillet? It can still
be used for its original purpose but you have to be more careful?
> It was helpful
> to read through before working with the pottery (although it was her
> that
> heated the skillet incorrectly, I have a picture where she's holding it
> half-way over a flame.. tsk, tsk...).
Halfway over the flame? So only half the skillet is in the flame? I
wonder if that is harder on the pottery skillet than being completely
in the flame?
> I'll send her a note and ask if it's
> ok to send it along to the Florilegium, and prod her to finish the
> other
> half.
Please do. Depending on how the article is halved, we could put the
article in the Florilegium now and add the other half later since I
take updates.  That way some people can make use of the article even
before it is completed.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas