[Sca-cooks] juniper berries in period recipes?

KarenO karen_ostrowski at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 15:52:09 PDT 2003

> On 10/21/2003 , Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:
> > Marina answered me with:  They are also very nice mixed with white wine
in a marinade for roast
 pork.(also not period) <<<

> > So, do you put them in whole or crush them?
> > Stefan

My spice book says that the berries were used by enterprising Romans to
adultarate pepper, and were burned in the Middle Ages to clean the air of
pestilence.    They are a natural foil for game & fatty fods.

Actually the berries crush very easily  -- I use them often for marinades &
as an addition for my pepper mix.  They go well with beef, apples, cabbage,
game pork,  & goose;  and they combine well with bay, caraway, celery,
garlic, rosemary, savory, thyme, & marojam.

Andrew Dalby writes: "Their use in Roman cookery is really one more
indication of the popularity of pepper, because juniper berries served as a
cheap pepper subsitute."

Caointiarn