[Sca-cooks] Re: Home From Great Western War

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 11:59:32 PDT 2003

Thanks to the excellent memory of Lorenz Wieland of Darachshire, the
man whose name i had forgotten - yes, we had a Caidan on our team -
it was truly a friendly contest - i know what was the missing 13th
dish.

It was "An Eastern Sweet" from the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook -
made at the event of almond milk, apple juice, pomegranate
"molasses", white sugar, rice flour, and rosewater.

Here is the recipe:
This is given to feverish people as a food and takes the place of
medicine. Take sweet, peeled almonds and pound them fine. Then
extract their milk with a sieve or clean cloth, until it becomes like
milk. Add pomegranate and tart apple juice, pear juice, juice of
quince and of roasted gourd, whatever may be available of these.
Prepare them like the juice squeezed from the almonds and like the
mixture of white sugar. Put in a glazed earthenware tinjir and light
a gentle fire under it. After boiling, add some dissolved starch
paste and when it thickens, put together rose oil and fresh oil and
light under it a gentle fire until it thickens. Then take off the
fire and take it out. If the stomach is weak, add rosewater mixed
with camphor.

This was very yummy - a translucent not-quite pudding - rich, sweet,
tart, and highly flavorful.

Anahita