[Sca-cooks] juniper berries in period recipes?

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Wed Oct 22 13:49:27 PDT 2003

For all who are interested.  Again I am not saying this is a period recipe.
I served this at a event which had a hunting theme.  Wild boar was too
expensive to purchase.

Roast Pork (Wild Game Style) (p 71-72 Traditional Polish Cooking)

3 lbs lean roast pork
2 large onions, sliced
½ c dry white wine
juice of large lemon
20 lightly crushed juniper berries
10 grains pepper
10 grains pimento (all spice)
2 cloves
1 bay leaf

Mix all ingredients and pour over pork which has two sliced onions, and
marinate for as long as possible.  Remove meat from marinade and set marinade
aside.  (I used a large Ziplock bag and had the pork in the marinade for
almost 2 days).  I did it up on the Thursday night and cooked it in the
afternoon.

After removing from marinade rub with salt and leave for one hour in a cool
place.  Fry meat in heated lard until browned on all sides.  Place in oven
and roast slowly in medium heat (350).  During roasting baste with own sauce,
if there isn't enough sauce use leftover marinade.  After one hour add 1
large sliced onion.

Sauce
Using the pan juices, strained, add 1 tsp flour to pan and heat gently until
thickened.  Add 1 tbsp cherry preserves to gravy as it is thickening.  Simmer
for 10 minutes no more.