[Sca-cooks] tharid?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Oct 25 22:35:07 PDT 2003

>Anahita commented:
>>>>
>-- A Dish of Chicken or Partridge with Quinces or Apples - includes
>chopped fennel bulb and is topped with a tharid (13th c. Anonymous
>Andalusian Cookbook)
><<<
>
>What is "tharid"?

Tharid (or tharida, or tharda) is an Islamic dish with lots of
variants consisting of torn-up bread with stuff mixed in or poured
over. The stuff usually but not always includes meat--there is one
vegetarian tharid we made that reminded me of standard
bread/onion/herb turkey stuffing. Here is a very simple recipe (15th
c.):

"Meat is boiled and bread is moistened with the broth. Yoghurt,
garlic and mint are put with it and the meat is put with it. Likewise
there is a tharid without meat."

But there are ones with different kinds of meat and beans and other
vegetables and different seasonings and butter and eggs and...  Look
at the Miscellany for several worked-out recipes.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook