[Sca-cooks] Garlic Challenge

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Oct 24 10:36:01 PDT 2003

Selene said:

Aeduin and
then-new-fiancee Mary Taran were my helper-heroes this time. We did
...garlic-stuffed chicken, "moretum" garlic cheese based on a
poem from Virgil [how's that for documentation!]...
<<<<<<
Recipes for these two please.

and with some extra time at the end, whipped up a
figs in garlic-scented syrup that was actually pretty nice.
<<<<<<
Awk. And from an earlier message, as a joke, I was going to suggest that the challenge of the contest could be increased by using two special ingredients and that the requirement was that they both be used in each dish. Such as the garlic and the plums. :-)

At the same event, one of the blacksmiths came over to borrow a cup of
vinegar.  We send him lovely apple cider vinegar that a nice orchard man
sells at the local farmers market.  Not every bottled vinegar is nice
enough to drink straight, but this is.
<<<<<<

I don't imagine they do mail order, do they?

I took an interesting class at this last Pennsic (was it really over two months ago?) on vinegar tasting. The teacher put out a dozen bowls of different vinegars with some pieces of bread and we blind tasted them and wrote down our comments. Then she told us which one was what. There were a few surprises.

An after class discussion by some of us led us to a nearby camp for an impromptu Sekanjabin tasting of more than half-a-dozen different varieties and recipes. We even managed to grab Master Cariadoc, as he passed by on the way to his own activities, for a few questions on Sekanjabin. Thank you for your time, Cariadoc.

Stefan