[Sca-cooks] Walnuts and nut cracking devices

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Oct 26 06:13:25 PST 2003

I have read that people leave them in their driveways and drive over
them to loosen the husks. I can remember as a child sitting on the
concrete cistern platform (top of the cistern) at my grandparent's and
cracking them using hammers and screws and other assorted hardware that
was there. It was always a chore and they stained the hands and clothing
just from that activity. My books on rural life that might have a
picture are packed. I wonder of they were milled or run between grinding
stones in some fashion, but that is a guess.

Johnnae llyn Lewis