[Sca-cooks] Walnuts and nut cracking devices

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Oct 26 14:14:11 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have read that people leave them in their driveways and drive over
> them to loosen the husks. I can remember as a child sitting on the
> concrete cistern platform (top of the cistern) at my grandparent's and
> cracking them using hammers and screws and other assorted hardware that
> was there. It was always a chore and they stained the hands and clothing
> just from that activity. My books on rural life that might have a
> picture are packed. I wonder of they were milled or run between grinding
> stones in some fashion, but that is a guess.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis

A friend of mine in SE Ohio has an interesting device, basicly a corn
stripper- strips the kernels off the cob. It's about 36 inches high, with a
weighted wheel, and you feed the corn in one end, and the kernels come out
of one spout and the cobs out another- looks kinda like a big coffee mill.
When he gets walnuts, he tightens down an adjustment, and it does a really
nice job or stripping the green rind off of the walnuts, too- he then lets
them dry for a season, and has lots of walnuts in the shell every fall.
Works very well, but trying to find one up in this area might be a problem-
you'd need to know what they look like, and get it before some antique
collecting yahoo decidede it would look great out in hir garden, and let it
rust and rot to death...

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.