[Sca-cooks] Citron

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 21:50:48 PST 2003

Bear replied to me with:
> Stefan, you can't infer that citron is actually being called for from
> the
> recipes in Platina.  He was translating recipes from Italian into
> Latin and
> there are no Latin words for the various citrus fruits other than
> citron
> (which arrived in the Mediterranean basin in the 4th Century BCE).  The
> recipes need to be compared to the original Italian recipes by Martino
> Rossi.  I believe you will find the chicken recipe actually calls for
> (Seville) oranges in the original.
Yes, there is commentary in my file that covers this. But I'm not sure
the info given there is definative. At least not such that I wanted to
keep this possible citron recipe from Anahita. That is one reason that
I quoted both the Platina recipe and Millham's translation. In fact she
says lemon or verjuice. So that gives three possible interpretatons,
orange, lemon or citron.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas