[Sca-cooks] Citron

Wed Oct 29 10:43:04 PST 2003

Stefan, you can't infer that citron is actually being called for from the
recipes in Platina.  He was translating recipes from Italian into Latin and
there are no Latin words for the various citrus fruits other than citron
(which arrived in the Mediterranean basin in the 4th Century BCE).  The
recipes need to be compared to the original Italian recipes by Martino
Rossi.  I believe you will find the chicken recipe actually calls for
(Seville) oranges in the original.

Bear