[Sca-cooks] plague recipes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Oct 31 15:11:26 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Ummm ... Phlip, I hate to correct you, you being
> a saint and all ... but mosquitos don't carry
> Plague, they carry dengue, yellow fever, malaria
> and several forms of encephalitis, and now the
> West Nile virus.  The Plague is carried by fleas
> on rats and other rodents.
>
> Huette

Umm... Huette, I will gladly accept the correction, jusr as soon as you show
me where I said Plague was transmitted by mosquitoes.... I also did not
specify which plagues were transmitted by which species of mosquitoes vs
which species of whatever other insect vectors there might be available, nor
that only certain species of certain insect types will transmit certain
diseases, despite having been exposed to them, nor which animal species act
as disease reservoirs in stages of quiescence, nor did I specify that Plague
is considered endemic to the US west coast today, generating anywhere from a
couple to a dozen cases per year- after all, I was not giving a detailed
description of disease transmission, I was giving a quick discussion of the
reasoning which led medieval physicians to use aromatics as preventatives
against Plague, among other plagues.

However, if you WISH me to specify this information, please get Gunthar to
give me permission to post it in all its tedious detail to the List, since
in my opinion it goes beyond out usual scope.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.