[Sca-cooks] plague recipes

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 12:54:14 PST 2003

Ummm ... Phlip, I hate to correct you, you being
a saint and all ... but mosquitos don't carry
Plague, they carry dengue, yellow fever, malaria
and several forms of encephalitis, and now the
West Nile virus.  The Plague is carried by fleas
on rats and other rodents.

Huette

--- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> Stefan-
>
> >From what I've found, most of the formulas for
> the Plague were designed to
> protect the user from its "pestilential
> miasma", in other words, bad vapors
> in the air. In period, it was noticed that
> people who slept outdoors or with
> open windows were more subject to various
> plagues, and rather than
> connecting the problem with mosquitoes, it was
> believed the evening air was
> dangerous. During the Black Plague, the Drs
> went around in rather odd
> looking outfits with face masks on, and had
> rather odd concoctions in the
> masks to prevent the pestilential airs from
> assailing them- they looked like
> nothing so much as the Spies in Mad Magazine's
> Spy vs Spy comic feature ;-)
> If you're interested in the research I have, I
> can likely scan it in for
> you, but I can't let you put it in the
> Florilegium since it isn't my work-
> it's from one of my upper level Biology
> classes.
>
> Saint Phlip,
> CoDoLDS
>
> "When in doubt, heat it up and hit it with a
> hammer."
>  Blacksmith's credo.
>
>  If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a
> duck, it is probably not a
> cat.
>
> Never a horse that cain't be rode,
> And never a rider who cain't be throwed....

=====
shall never cease to be amused.