[Sca-cooks] peeling onions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 23:04:15 PDT 2003

Can anyone tell me the best way to peel an onion? How much should be
removed? Is there an easy way?

I cooked a period stew this past weekend for a pot luck. I chose to use
a bag of pearl onions rather than quartering larger onions. For
appearances and otherwise.

When I peel a large onion I sometimes end up removing at least one
layer of what looks like good onion, thicker and not dried out just to
make sure I get off all the skin. But if I did that on the pearl onions
there would have been a lot less onion left. But I was having trouble
getting off all the skin without removing an onion layer. I tried
rolling the onions in my hand to see if that would loosen the skin some
with limited success.

One thing I will have to do is get all the onions prepped before I
start cooking the meat (it had already been parboiled). Then I won't be
in such a rush to get the onions done before the meat has cooked too
far. But still if I could reduce the time I need to prep the onions
that would be nice.

Stefan
(No one showed up for the revel except my wife and I and the host. But
I will get to finish off the meat at lunch tomorrow at work)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com