[Sca-cooks] Romanian cookbook, follow-up

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 8 11:10:35 PDT 2003

Greetings all!

The translation is almost over, however, there are some words that I haven't
been able to translate yet. I'm currently revising the translation, so I'll
send a bunch of recipes your way soon enough. (Including oysters, a recent
topic). Sometimes the context is clear enough to figure out the meaning, but
I'd like to get the exact word (for all Romanian speakers out there!)

Also, 'cucunari' refers to the stone pine nut, or umbrella nut. I have never
tasted this one, I've read it is similar to almonds, but can anybody
recommend a substitute?

These are the words that I can't figure out yet, with the context:

vapsita: "a little water 'vapsita' with saffron"

razi: part of a fish (the scale, perhaps?)

jales: a vegetable, with purple flowers, may be a substitute for laurel
leaves

iahnii: "To make snails and 'iahnii' sweet"

osibesti: "with so much only 'osibesti' in this with water"

pelite: "clean of blood and other 'pelite'"

Far: "boil in a pot with water, 'far' of salt"

Pialea: "mix these with the bread and fill 'pialea'"

Macra: " 'macra', salt, egg yolks, chopped herbs".. (could be 'macris', that
is, 'sorrel')

marinile: "pour above a sauce of 'marinile'"

cepsoare: "sugar, 3-4 whole 'cepsoare', pepper, cinnamon"

Denainte: "Take a rabbit, the 'denainte' part, and cut small"

catastine: "with chick peas and ripe 'catastine' "

hatmatuchiu: a vegetable, probably an herb

Ratunjasti, ratunde: an action, maybe skinning or cutting off fat

sorici: related to lard

Insi: "smear the flesh with wine and knead two 'insi'"

pritocesc: "in summer, when 'pritocesc' wines"

calamo: some aromatic spice

cramazu: "2 dram (7 ml) cramazu, well ground"

micsinele: "Take leaces of 'micsinele'"

Pimnita: "let stand in 'pimnita'"

caculea: maybe a kind of nut, perhaps cashew?

gugosi: "Take 'gugosi' of ink" (maybe shaves of previously solidified ink)

cailor: would be  kind of stone, used to make ink

Comid, comidul: also used to make ink

magnit: a mineral

YIS

Petru 'cel Paros' Voda