[Sca-cooks] Galangale

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Sep 9 12:20:01 PDT 2003

Christine Seelye-King wrote:

> > I am now the proud possessor of sliced dried galangale.
> > I remember a discussion of the impossibility of grinding
> > dry hunks of the stuff, and presume that's why it is
> > sliced very thin. Now I need to figure out what I am
> > going to do with this.

Why not try making a tincture?

Try a small amount of galangale and add just enough vodka to
cover it.  It is a good idea to use use drinkable vodka ...
avoids adding unneeded taste.

> We were just discussing galangale the other night.  You
> might try taking a hammer to the dried bits to get it into
> very small pieces.  Then, try adding a small amount to a
> coffee/spice grinder, and listen for the sound of the
> motor, stop if it sounds like it is working too hard.
> Christianna

Bear in mind that in Thai cooking, a galangale powder is
used ... and it seems to be ground finer than cinnamon.

--
Martin G. Diehl

Reality -- That which remains after you stop thinking
about it.

All replies and comments accepted and considered.
Adoption of your suggestions are at my sole discretion.
Award criteria are unpublished and are considered to
be a trade secret.  As such, awards for your responses
cannot be guaranteed.  Incoming flames may be stored
for use during severe winters or may be circulated for
deep analysis, peer review, and/or literary criticism.