[Sca-cooks] Galangale

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 9 13:47:32 PDT 2003

Just to be clear, I wasn't the original poster, I was the one advising the
procuring of a bigger hammer.  I did make galangale powder to take to
Pennsic with me so that I wouldn't have to grind anything there - and my
little spice grinder never even slowed down - no problems grinding it up.
Christianna

Christine Seelye-King wrote:

> > I am now the proud possessor of sliced dried galangale.
> > I remember a discussion of the impossibility of grinding
> > dry hunks of the stuff, and presume that's why it is
> > sliced very thin. Now I need to figure out what I am
> > going to do with this.

Why not try making a tincture?

Try a small amount of galangale and add just enough vodka to
cover it.  It is a good idea to use use drinkable vodka ...
avoids adding unneeded taste.

> We were just discussing galangale the other night.  You
> might try taking a hammer to the dried bits to get it into
> very small pieces.  Then, try adding a small amount to a
> coffee/spice grinder, and listen for the sound of the
> motor, stop if it sounds like it is working too hard.
> Christianna

Bear in mind that in Thai cooking, a galangale powder is
used ... and it seems to be ground finer than cinnamon.

--
Martin G. Diehl