[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 20:21:23 PDT 2003

> Braising in some sort of marinade might also bring about a similar
> effect.  Alton Brown, in "Good Eats" did a show on braising ribs where
> he got very technical about the conversion of the connective tissues
> tonice, good, juicy yummyness.
>
> --Cian O'Madadhain
> Building a brick smoker soon...
What do we know about period smoke houses? Do we have any still
existing ones? Or diagrams, pictures or illuminations? Do we have any
written information on them that might, for instance, tell us which
woods they used or preferred to use?

I know we have records from the 19th and 18th centuries. We have a
re-created farm community here called Pioneer Farms, which has one.
Unfortunately, a lot of their funding comes from the city and is likely
to be lost this year and they will have to shut down. :-( Several of
our SCA folks volunteer/work there teaching things like spinning. No,
our economy is not in recession. So the (our?) government says.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com