[Sca-cooks] pink peppercorn

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 10 11:40:22 PDT 2003

In _Dangerous Tastes: The story of spices_, Andrew Dalby says that a South
American native plant related to capsicums is the source of the pink
peppercorn/baies roses: "It has a cloase relative, Schinus
terebinthifolius, native to Brazil, whose berries are currently enjoying a
vogue as a culinary spice under such names as pink peppercorns, baies
roses or Brazilian pepper. They have been much used by chefs who aim at
nouvelle cuisine, though some diners suffer adverse reactions to them."

I know that some peppercorn blends come with pink peppercorns in them.
This Dalby's statement suggests to me that avoiding such blends isn't just
a good way of keeping our cooking period, but of avoiding introducing a
specific kind of allergy issue-- since there are people who are allergic
to capsicums but not to Piper species, and so might be fooled by hearing
that spice pepper was used into tasting something that would provoke their
allergies.

What do you all think?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It still doesn't explain the icing on the ladies' room ceiling,
though...."