[Sca-cooks] Re: Blood Drive

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Sep 10 09:06:12 PDT 2003

Peldyn at aol.com wrote:

>I am trying to catch back up again and have been reading with interest about
>the blood drive. I would love to give blood, but I live so far away from any
>donation center that I would not be able to drive myself home after donating
>blood. I have yet to find anyone in my area who would be interested in driving
>with me. Sigh. The idea of having a blood drive at an event is very cool. Could
>it be done for Estrella??? I don't think I will be able to make Pennsic for
>many years.
>BTW what is it with not being able to donate if you lived in Europe??? Is it
>anywhere, or at anytime in Europe or only certain areas in certain times? I
>had not heard of this restriction before and since I lived in Germany for 6
>years it would really suck to not be able to donate blood because of it.

You could try calling a local hospital - blood centers frequently have
mobile units that go to hospitals every few months.  Also, watch your
newspaper listings.  Mobile units go to churches and schools, too.

As for living in Europe, it has to do with vCJD (Mad Cow Disease.)
Unfortunately, they make no exceptions for people who ate vegetarian
while they lived there.  Personally, while I do eat critters these days,
if I were to vacation in Europe I would eat veggie.  Although, to be
honest, they rely on your own word about all their restrictions -
homosexual encounters, drug use, etc.  You can see a full list of
restrictions on the Red Cross webpage.  There is a time limit on living
in/visiting Europe.  I think it's six cumulative months after a certain
year, but I don't remember what the year is.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei