[Sca-cooks] larding turkeys and other meats

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 23:23:26 PDT 2003

Generys asked:
> So tell me more about larding turkeys? I usually stuff butter under the
> skin, which I guess works in a similar way, but the skin doesn't look
> as
> pretty as it could (the bits with the most butter get over done aka
> burnt) -
> tastes wonderful though, esp. with lots of rosemary mixed into the
> butter...
I don't believe that is really considered larding, whether done with
butter or lard. I think that is more of a surface treatment. Larding is
more like poking holes into the meat and inserting pieces of lard into
the meat. I had not heard of it before I heard about it on this list,
either.
For some more information on larding, perhaps this file in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium might be of interest:
larding-msg        (9K)  9/27/01    Inserting fat into meat in period
and today.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/larding-msg.html
Stefan
--------