[Sca-cooks] Re: smoking meat

Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos muchosnombresfarm at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 14:49:27 PDT 2003

Heat is not necessary to smoke meat and smoke is best absorbed by meat at
around 55 degrees. That is why you slaughter on the first cold day of
Autumn. Also the brining process was an intergral part of preserving the
meat. It was neccessary to boil hams before eating them to remove the salt.
A smoked salted ham braised with mirapoix veges and alot of red wine makes a
flavorful mild meat. I don't know about the anti-bacterial nature of smoke
by itself but it seems to work. Plus you are using a whole muscle meat with
only surface exposure to bacteria.
Bro Stephon

Stefan, this may be the cause of some of the confusion from us warm-weather folks, and one reason we don't really see many truely smoked meat here in Texas- you would pretty much have to put the smoker in a refrigerator, unless we had a long cold spell.

The stuff that is sold as "smoked" around here is actually cooked; you can eat it cold and if the meat was treated corrected after cooking, you would be OK.

Really, truely  ->smoked<- meat isn't cooked and must be (should be) cooked some way or another before consuming.  There are exceptions (proscuito ham I'm not spelling that right) for instance, that is YEARS old before it is sold, and you can eat it raw, but mostly you put it in other dishes for flavor) .

Leofwynn