[Sca-cooks] Re: Polish swans

Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos muchosnombresfarm at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 09:30:16 PDT 2003

Per Brad Hazelton, the bird curator at the FT Worth Zoo, Polish are simply a color phaze of the mutes.  The way to tell the difference is, Polish have either completely orange feet and legs, or at least orange on them.

The regular mute swans (the real name for them, by the way, is Royal Mute, because Elizabeth I decreed that the only swans that would be permitted on the Thames were the ones that were dark as cygnets; maybe so she could have swan whenever she wanted?)(FOOD REFERENCE!) have solid black legs and feet.

Brad doesn't know offhand when they began to be considered different birds, but it is at least pre-Elizabethan.

Brad says that many aviculturists who are stupid enough (oops! outside voice) who raise Mute Swans probably have both Royals and Polish, you just have to get close enough to see their feet.

Since Polish are just a different color from Mutes, they are probably just as agressive.

Check Eggbid or Birdauction to see if someone is selling eggs or birds; or check to see if your local rescue group has any that need a home.

I agree with you.  Swans are about as agressive as Cape Barron Geese or Ostriches.

Leofwynn

Saith Master Johann:

 Where would I find any? and how mean are they in regards to the Mutes I
used to have? I HATE swans, alive that is, Mutes, I mean!! People
who talk about geese being mean, haven't a clue until
you run across some old cob on a private lake!! Esp.
with a nesting pen!! BTW, Cob and Pen are old terms
for male/female swans.

Abot Johann

If it's Tourist Season, why can't you shoot them?