[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 4, Issue 60/Swans

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 07:31:18 PDT 2003

Hey, Leofwynne!! Glad to see you here again!!
Thanks for the info on Polish Swan, do you have any
info on their period development? Where would I find
any? and how mean are they in regards to the Mutes I
used to have?
I HATE swans, alive that is, Mutes, I mean!! People
who talk about geese being mean, haven't a clue until
you run across some old cob on a private lake!! Esp.
with a nesting pen!! BTW, Cob and Pen are old terms
for male/female swans.

Abot Johann

>    2. Swan (Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos)
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:51:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos"
> <muchosnombresfarm at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Swan
> Now, to give more info re: swans:
>
> (relayed from my husband the bird keeper at the
> zoo:)
>
> Most swan cygnets (babies) are gray until adult.
> That is why, if you ever see an instruction as to
> how to tell the age of a swan and to get a tasty
> bird, you are instructed to get a bird that is not
> white. (We are talking about Mutes, Trumpeters, and
> Black-necks; Black swans are a different story).
>
> Well, accidental selection happened.  Every once in
> a while you will have a baby swan who is white from
> birth.  They are not hunted and otherwise taken from
> the gene pool.  After lo these many years, you have
> a new species of bird (the Polish) that is not gray
> at all.
>
> Swan is quite good, if eaten in the first year.
>
> Another bird that I don't know if it is period or
> not, but is very tasty and in season soon, is
> Sandhill Crane.  Looks like beef; tasts like finest
> venison, and you cook it the same way.
>
> Anyone who is within driving distance of Muleshoe
> Texas, you need to take a look at the flocks;
> hundreds of thousands of birds.  I can only imagine
> what all those birds do to farmers' fields...
>
> Leofwynn

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"