[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 4, Issue 98

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 10:20:48 PDT 2003

>    1. Back from "The Dark" Ages (Jane Massey)
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:39:13 -0400
> From: "Jane Massey" <dylansmom at cox.net>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Back from "The Dark" Ages
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm finally back after 10 days without power here in
> Virginia. Needless to say I lost quite a few things
> (or should I say everything) that was in my fridge
> and freezer. Living out of a cooler and by
> candlelight is fine if you are at Pennsic, but when
> you have no choice it is not fun.  Needless to say,
> I was one of the fortunate ones. A lot of people
> lost their homes or had significant damage due to
> flooding in my area. My neighbor still has a huge
> tree laying on his house that probally won't be
> removed until the end of the month.  It was an
> amazing storm to watch. Pine trees snapping in half,
> a raging river running through your yard. I did
> loose my shed and a piece of log fencing that ended
> up two streets away but that was about it. Now I
> have to get back to thinking about cooking crown
> feast. Yeah !
we can just serve water, but, as was pointed out,
> that's not really period
> for many places either... sure, peasants might drink
> it, but not anyone
> who could afford anything else. And fresh cider
> might be served at this
> time of year, but not in March...
>
> Even if sekanjabin was served as a beverage, it
> wasn't served in Northern Europe. So it's a stretch
already, for many of our feasts.
> Lemons weren't readily available either. I've
> actually been wondering about this - not just for
feast service, but for my own use, at least in
theory - what would I (my Norwegian persona)  drink
that isn't alcohol? Personally, I'm not authentic
enough to face a cup of ale in the morning, though I
know it was done...

> AEllin

Actually, milk was a fairly common drink for all ages
throughout Scandinavia. Usually buttermilk or whey,
the fresh stuff was still too useful for butter/cheese

Normally it may have been for the sick, young or old,
it was not uncalled for among everyday bachelor
norweigan farmers either! Maybe not the most desired
beverage for a bunch of lazy good for nothing
vikings,(lol) but fair drink for decent hardworking
Nordic farmers and herdsmen!!

Johann

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"