[Sca-cooks] Welsh book

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 21:08:57 PDT 2003

        This is what it says in the Book review section of PPC 73

     "R/ Elwyn Hughes: Dysgl Bren a Dysgl Arian: Y Lolfa: 2003. ISBN
0862436605: 317 pp., p/b, 14.95 lb
     In my studious youth, learned theses in Swedish, Finnish and Flemish
used very kindly to include English or French precis at the back of the book.
Quotations from these works certainly added class to your essays, for you never
had to admit the crib. Elwyn Hughes's book is entirely in Welsh and has no
precis. Nor does the Advance Information Sheet from the publisher.  Therefore, the
only thing I can tell you is that the title translates into English as
'Silver Dish or Wooden Dish: notes on the history of food in Wales.' There is an
essay on scurvy; another on Welsh indigenous drinks such as liquor from the
Mountain-Ash tree; a third on wild plants and their place in the diet; and that is
about as far as I can penetrate this evidently learned and fully referenced
work."

     Man sounds a bit peeved, doesn't he?  Well, maybe your friend can do a
translation...
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com