[Sca-cooks] FW: genetically engineereed foods

Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com
Tue Sep 2 14:13:34 PDT 2003

BT  = "Bacillus thurigensus" a common "insecticide" in agribusiness that is
usually used as a areasol dispersal spray.

Specifically included in BTCorn is the gene for the "Bt Delta Endotoxin"

This is what the university of Kentucky has to say about it:

The Bt delta endotoxin was selected because it is highly effective at
controlling Lepidoptera larvae, caterpillars. It is during the larval stage
when most of the damage by European corn borer occurs. The protein is very
selective, generally not harming insects in other orders (such as beetles,
flies, bees and wasps). For this reason, GMOs that have the Bt gene are
compatible with biological control programs because they harm insect
predators and parasitoids much less than broad-spectrum insecticides. The
Bt endotoxin is considered safe for humans, other mammals, fish, birds, and
the environment because of its selectivity. Bt has been available as a
commercial microbial insecticide since the 1960s and is sold under many
trade names. These products have an excellent safety record and can be used
on many crops until the day of harvest.

To kill a susceptible insect, a part of the plant that contains the Bt
protein (not all parts of the plant necessarily contain the protein in
equal concentrations) must be ingested. Within minutes, the protein binds
to the gut wall and the insect stops feeding. Within hours, the gut wall
breaks down and normal gut bacteria invade the body cavity. The insect dies
of septicaemia as bacteria multiply in the blood. Even among Lepidoptera
larvae, species differ in sensitivity to the Bt protein.

Also included is a marker gene that is used to identify the different plant
as it is not visible. usually this is an unusual reaction to a herbicide.

Generally this marker treatment will give unwashed or unprepared BT corn an
"off" smell or flavor.

I think the "bt-Corn and Cows" test is playing with a loaded deck.

Jadwiga, I agree that a lot of hype in both ways is unwarranted.
And I do agree that biologically modified food products should be carefully
studied and rigorous contrrols should be applied to their creation.  I am
either an idiot nor am I a pawn of AG Edwards.

I just don't think that btCorn is worth Hundreds of Thousands marching
throufgh the streets of Europe in Frankenstein and Skull masks.

I believe that the negative aspects are WAY more over hyped than the
positive.

Brandu