[Sca-cooks] FW: genetically engineereed foods OT- OT- WAY OT

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 2 17:30:34 PDT 2003

Christine Seelye-King wrote:snipped
> *Crops which have been Genetically Modified to resist insects kill not just
> the "target insect" (such as the borer or weevil) but beneficial insects
> (such as the Monarch butterfly). They also threaten the habitats of other
> animals, such as birds.

Right now Michigan is trying to come up with an insecticide that will
wipe out our new exotic pest. Discovered last summer 2002, this emerald
green ash borer is destroying all the ash trees in southeastern
Michigan. For the six counties in and around Detroit (it arrived via
Detroit Metro they think) the cost of removal and replacement carries a
minor bill of maybe 9 Billion. (They are quoting 5 Billion to update the
power grid for point of comparison.) People are having to remortgage
their homes and take out loans to come up with the $2000-$3000 per tree
removal and disposal costs for trees on private property. No this is not
covered by insurance.

Remember also that bird species are dying of West Nile. If you don't
vaccinate your horses against it they too can die.

Maybe we need all the science we can get to keep the world at bay.

Johnnae