[Sca-cooks] NOT OT: genetically engineereed foods

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Sep 3 14:44:04 PDT 2003

ok, my two cents, and this is ON topic, honest.....

Genetically modified foods are a real threat to all of us who like to cook.
most of us non commercial, non packaged meals type cooks are the ones who
have no way of finding out if their food is "modified".

i know a LOT of people who are violently allergic to some food products.
i know people who are allergic to:
chocolate
all nightshades
wheat
soy
various nuts and legumes
garlic
etc etc etc

now, if you cut a gene from that into other food..... it could KILL a person
who has NO warning that , say, a garlic gene was spliced into the tomato to
make it more resistant to some blight. (or whatever)  this is one reason why
i say label ANYthing that has been modified from the "expected norm".

also some folks choose not to eat things, whether for religious or other
reasons.  a big example is Islamic and Judaic food rules.

i do NOT expect pig proteins in my tomatos, but it can happen with GMOs.  i
have yet to see anyone "breed" a better tomato and end up with pig protein
in it.

all i ask for is labels.  i am made even more suspicious of the GMOs by the
fact that they are fighting labels tooth and nail in the corporate
world.......
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...