[Sca-cooks] peeling onions

Leah A. Montgomery mog_bane at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 06:48:36 PDT 2003

>Can anyone tell me the best way to peel an onion? How much should be
>removed? Is there an easy way?

*snippage*

>Stefan
>(No one showed up for the revel except my wife and I and the host. But I
>will get to finish off the meat at lunch tomorrow at work)

Here is my favorite way of cutting onions. I have worked in restaurants for
many years and that's where I learned it. Cut the top and the bottom off of
your onion. Cut the onion in half, this makes it ten times easier to peel.
It's perfectly fine to remove the first layer of "real" onion, usually it
makes it a quicker job, and the waste isn't that bad. Most people don't want
to mess with the extra time it takes to peel off only the husk, or brown
part, especially if they've got 20 or more pounds that they are cutting. Lay
down one half of the onion, wide cut side down. Cut it against the grain,
from cut end to cut end, as thin as you will want the final pieces to be.
Then cut with the grain as thin as you want the final pieces to be. For
strips, just cut with the grain. Easy and simple!

I've wanted to go to both mini-revels, but I have a job, and no babysitter,
so I have to work Saturdays. Hopefully that will change next week! On the
other hand, I have a job where I go in when I want, for as long as I want,
and do as much work as I want to! I'm entering books into a database at a
dollar a book. I've scared my "boss" with how many I put in! But he told me
that he would be happily crying as he cut the really big checks for me! *big
evil grin* He thought that 50 books in an 8 hour day was a lot! Poor guy.
But, I already have to put myself on a book diet. No books until we get in
the new house. That 50% discount is gonna kill our space!

Leah A. Montgomery
SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
mog_bane at hotmail.com